Beat the Heat: Cover All Your Bases and Base Layers.
Summer is in full swing, and the question on everyone’s mind is: “How do I help my guys stay cool in the hot summer months?” In fact, it may be the #1 question we at Bulwark receive this time of year, every year. That’s why we’re here to help guide you with some cold, hard facts.
1. Remember the 3 Rs: Rehydrate, Rest and Recognize
Rehydrate: Drink cold water consistently throughout the day—even before you feel thirsty.
Rest: Take breaks in shaded/air-conditioned areas:
- Especially in mid-afternoon, when daytime temps hit their peak and the sun is at its strongest.
- Shorter, more frequent work/rest cycles are best.
Recognize: Learn to recognize the symptoms of heat-related illness in yourself and others:
- Muscle or abdominal cramps
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Pale skin
- Profuse sweating
- Rapid heartbeat
2. NEVER Cheat In The Heat: Wear It Right
Keep sleeves rolled down, shirts buttoned all the way up, and tucked in. Remember: FR clothing can only protect you if you wear it correctly.
3. The Right Base Layers Boost Comfort
- Wicking base layers pull perspiration off the skin, encouraging faster evaporation and increased comfort.
- FR base layers add protection and can even allow for a lighter weight shirt without sacrificing your arc rating.
- ALWAYS select an FR base layer.